View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Inzz
Glass Cannon

Glass Cannon

re: Horror

I really love horror, but when it comes finding em, theres so few of em.. Well theres these horrible "horror" wich doesnt even scare ya or yet even build the tension.
The game industry for horror is kinda forgotten area, because its not really good money tbh, if we look at something like fps games (call of duty/battlefield) theyr sales are massive when horror is just for those who really enjoy the spooks and scares (and changing pants every now and then)

Yet there is pretty good horror games out there.. Usually the horror makers are independent company or as short indie game developers. Whats good about that is they can make the game how they want it to be and change the creature/spook if its not scary enough :P

Now before I start giving for examples of these horror games I must remind you that if ya cant handle horror you shouldnt watch the trailers/actual game. Side effects from playing can be loss of sleep, fear of darkness and over sensitivity to hearing noise and seeing "objects" In a fear state over sensitive people can see shadows in the dark, wich clearly arent there and noise can be just normal noise you havent heard it before, but thats how the fear works Happy

Penumbra series was the first horror games that inspired me to play more horror.
Trailer for one of the 3 penumbras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4VsUCkbCQE

Amnesia Dark descent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyH4nTDoELg

Outlast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F80Wv66GYSs
Released yesterday Happy

Scp containment breach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpmE5Wy7YMU
This game is "free" game, it can be downloaded from theyr website with no cost. They have setted up "donate" button if any1 wants to do that :P
Theyr website http://www.scpcbgame.com/
They made other game before containment breach called SCP-087-B
The 2 games are based on the same "world" The scp is based on website where people can write theyr own scp object/thing wich is in way or another paranormal or in anyway abnormal to our normal lifes.
The website whats its based of: http://www.scp-wiki.net/
And the first and original, what really kicked off the game development was scp-173 http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-173
Its really a fun game if ya can handle the spooks of the 173, it basically comes out of nowhere to behind you or is waiting you in the next room Happy

Amnesia machine for pigs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_9IyBzbyWQ
Coming 10th of september

Then theres incredibly many slender games, theyr all free games, except slender arrival
Arrivals website: http://www.slenderarrival.com/
Trailer for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenpLSKU-9U

Dead space serie
I have played 1 and 2, the third i lost interest because i would need to download origin for to play it :/
Dead space
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE2lPGsvjC4
Dead space 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtEEa4PU7ok

There was few examples of my favorite horror games :P There is plenty more of them, even 2d horrors Happy

Do you have had any experience on horror games ? what the game was ?
Do you like horror or similar games?

Feel free to post anything to horror related games Happy You can suggest me some horror games also.

The Undying

The Undying

I love horror films, but when it comes to games I scare too easily to fully enjoy them. There's something about being in control that I find it horrible, I wind up constantly spinning around to make sure nothing's coming up behind me.

It's also so rare for a game to do horror properly, It's so easy for action or bad storytelling to distract from any amount of scariness.

My low gaming threshold for horror leads me to see games as horror that other people don't, like the Half Life series. The game is so good, with you often stuck hugging your crowbar as a safety blanket while hiding from headcrabs. The Ravenholm section in 2 was a pretty traumatic experience for me and I wound up putting the game down for a few years before coming back and fighting my way through.

Bioshock's also a really good game, but I could never get used to the controls, and I spent so much of it cowered in corners hiding from Big Daddies that I never finished it.

Clive Barker's Undying was also really good, and actually a true horror. The first half of the game has you wandering around a giant mansion discovering the secrets of a family who lived there while being pestered by the ghosts of the people who lived there and demon things who are leaking through from another dimension that the house seems to be merging with. However,eventually it descends into sillyness with you fighting plant people, but the story's good, and the early stuff is pretty chilling.

Also, does The Walking Dead count? It's not really horror so much as it is insanely good. It's in the horror genre really, but it's good not for scares but being head and shoulders above any other game in terms of making you care about the characters.

Leerrrooooy

I like free games ;) only one i found was cry of fear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GB1yXGrSsA

fyi I only play these when the sun is out, and only for a certain amount of time....horror = no good for me

Those who say there's nothing like a nice cup of tea for calming the nerves never had *real* tea. It's like a syringe of adrenaline straight to the heart!
Ulthanfric
Officer
The Almighty Pro

The Almighty Pro

I'm surprised no one mentioned Silent Hill, to me its the king of horror! Not that plain in your face horror, but more subtle and more psychological horror.

Yeah the game did lost quality after the 2nd and tbh only the old first one is a true horror classic, still have nightmares about that triangle head boss who drags his sword on the floor while you run for your life. On the first one you play with a guy who can barely shoot a gun, so you have to thread carefully when firing, save your ammo and so. The town is completely filled with fog, so you never know what's coming to get you.

I used to play it at night with headphones, which I really recommend since this game has those little sounds that really mess up with your mind...

Despite being old I really recommend it! Not sure if it was ever released for PC but you can play it with a PS1 emulator easily.

There's also the resident evil series, but its more plain horror, not a big fan, altough I played a few.

Glass Cannon

For me guns will kill the horror, exception is with the jumpscares, in Dead space there wasnt really any other than jumpscares so my tension was building towards them and trying to evade from getting scared :P

I mainly play when everyone in here is sleeping, when theres no any sound or light = the best. But theres the downside of getting scared by friends (headphones on with no light at all, everyone can sneak in and give me a good scare :D )

I cant play much in a night, my downside on the work to wake up early in morning to boil oatmeal for the people :P
Last night I got to play 1h the new game outlast. I think it will be same this night.

I tryed to play Silent hill some time ago, it wasnt really good with pc, with ps1 it would be really good but the buttons was horrible for me, the first monster encounter in the cafeteria when you pickup the radio thingy and stuff, i pretty much had to restart it over and over again i just could not hit the flying thing, always running out of bullets.. well I could play the rest but it just feels that i have missed something when skipping one game over :/ I still have them on my pc, if I someday get inspired by it :P

The Undying

The Undying

I've avoided Silent Hill as I know it would terrify me. I can only handle nice friendly games where noone has guns because they don't need guns. Though I think even Portal scared me at points.

The Almighty Pro

so going by all the above if it leaves spam cowering in a corner hugging a crowbar like a security blanket ..... its horror.

The Almighty Pro

Ellatoestabber wrote:
so going by all the above if it leaves spam cowering in a corner hugging a crowbar like a security blanket ..... its horror.

LMAO! I laughed so hard picturing spam like that :D

The Undying

Ellatoestabber wrote:

Is that not what everyone does when faced with fear?

Leerrrooooy

Forum Image

I laugh in the face of fear

Those who say there's nothing like a nice cup of tea for calming the nerves never had *real* tea. It's like a syringe of adrenaline straight to the heart!
Patriotpea
Officer
Leerrrooooy

Leerrrooooy

I used to play F.E.A.R. And that was quite intense for me. Alma is creepy..Alan Wake was supposed to be good. Silent hill is good.

I remember playing Hard Rain campaign in Left For Dead...the sounds of witches sobbing in a cornfield in the middle of the night with thunder and lightning...wasnt as terrifying as hearing 3 other guys lose their damn minds after aggroing one witch after the other is something nobody should ever experience. And yes, one of them had a crowbar as melee weapon. LOL

lololol
Spamwise
Officer
The Undying

The Undying

Patriotpea wrote:
I used to play F.E.A.R. And that was quite intense for me. Alma is creepy..Alan Wake was supposed to be good. Silent hill is good.

I remember playing Hard Rain campaign in Left For Dead...the sounds of witches sobbing in a cornfield in the middle of the night with thunder and lightning...wasnt as terrifying as hearing 3 other guys lose their damn minds after aggroing one witch after the other is something nobody should ever experience. And yes, one of them had a crowbar as melee weapon. LOL

Ah yeah, the Left 4 Dead games are fantastic. Usually coop negates all horror, but Left 4 Dead can easily lead to 4 people running around screaming like children. That level in the factory with the dozens of witches is horrific.

Unfortunately pretty much anyone who still plays it is an ultra elitist and will votekick anyone for the mildest screw up and/or rage quit. It's rare to finish a round

The Almighty Pro

Patriotpea wrote:

Completely forgot about FEAR, funny story with this game, at the time I decided to try it I was working night shifts at a zoo and could spend some time playing, so here I was playing this creepy game till I had to go make my rounds at the zoo... So picture a zoo completely dark,lots of weird sounds from the animals and vegetation and me grabbing my flashlight like there's no tomorrow and completely scared cause of the game :P So needless to say I stopped playing it at the zoo :D

Leerrrooooy

Challenge: Failed - Face your F.E.A.R.
Come on ger..

A friend of mine used to play games like that(shes a nurse) till she got night shifts. Hospitals and zoos....would be creepy even if you played mario kart.

You just dont know....

...when...

That blue shell will strike you down.Get ganked.

lololol
Ulthanfric
Officer
The Almighty Pro

The Almighty Pro

Patriotpea wrote:
Challenge: Failed - Face your F.E.A.R.
Come on ger..

A friend of mine used to play games like that(shes a nurse) till she got night shifts. Hospitals and zoos....would be creepy even if you played mario kart.

You just dont know....

...when...

That blue shell will strike you down.Get ganked.

Well he had a bunch of these "little" guys there at the zoo:

Forum Image

According to Wiki:

Cassowaries have a reputation for being dangerous to people and domestic animals. During World War II American and Australian troops stationed in New Guinea were warned to steer clear of them. In his book Living Birds of the World from 1958, ornithologist Thomas E. Gilliard wrote:

"The inner or second of the three toes is fitted with a long, straight, murderous nail which can sever an arm or eviscerate an abdomen with ease. There are many records of natives being killed by this bird."

So yeah they can easily gank us with that nail:P

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: