View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Hayburn
Officer
The Undying

The Undying

re: The Rift

I'm going to try out this MMO a little. You don't have to load the game before you start playing (not even the 50% like in SWTOR) and you can start playing as a guest, without creating the account. When your toon is done witht he intros you get to create one, which is easiest process i have seen in all the online games i played this far. I got in-game in about 3 minutes from pushing download-link at their website.

They have trait trees, but you can freely choose which 3 lines you want to have and can change that later (I think.)  Each of 4 classes has 9 souls (how they call traitlines) you choose initially in making of toon and can change later. Points come easy at the start too, so traiting affects your toon early.

In the character creation you actually only choose if you want to roll a clothie (mage) and later you choose which souls you spend points on. one plain heal, many dps and couple support lines. You can save preset line setups too so can swap from plain 3 lines of dps to heal/support if you want.

The game seems very much group based, there are random battles occurring on landscape and huge number of players can suddenly be beating up the boss. It's common to see 10+ players at same time. I haven't seen any organized instances though, not sure how they work. What i've seen this far seems like the FPS MMO nerg posted, tens of players mashing things up without talking.

I play on European server Typhiria.

The Undying

I went to play Rift also, reason for my slightly prolonged absence from Lotro :'D

About Rift I can only say wow, it's awesome *_* I play a mage there like Hay is, and chosen to off-heal (chloromancer), leech off health from mobs and debuff and buff (warlock) and do nice damage on the side (stormcaller) :D Like a robe-wearing captain with a side of LM and mobility of RK :3

With paying a bit of gold you can buy yourself ten roleslots where you can be anything within your Calling - Mage, Warrior, Cleric or Rogue. You can choose a preset of three Souls (traitlines) and let the system use points for you, or mix and mingle with nine different Souls, placing points where you want and design your own class :D

Grouping is another thing, you can go on Instant Adventures and group with totally random folks and still get the quests done. Instant Adventures are endless, you can drop off whenever you want. There are actual instances but I've not had the chance to join one. Then there is mentoring, you lower your own level to match the group's and still get exp on your actual level.

And the battles there, if you get to smash up a 1,5 million hp landscape boss, only then with ~50 players you'd get lag \o/ And I've been in one on the lagtop \o/ I dunno what kinda game-engine these Trion folks use, but Turbine should definitely apply it to their games!!

If LOTRO flies flat on its ass, I'll be a Rifter, damnit.

The Almighty Pro

The Almighty Pro

Lol seems every other MMO doesn't have lag issues, just Lotro. Swtor same thing, rarely have any lag issues playing on high quality graphics, just some slow downs in the imperial/republic fleet, but there's hundred of payers in it usually and funny how the lag seems worse there as I approach the auction house there, Anyway have a few words for you 2: come to the dork side of the farce! Its actually a guild name in swtor,

The Undying

Hildorth wrote:
Lol seems every other MMO doesn't have lag issues, just Lotro. Swtor same thing, rarely have any lag issues playing on high quality graphics, just some slow downs in the imperial/republic fleet, but there's hundred of payers in it usually and funny how the lag seems worse there as I approach the auction house there, Anyway have a few words for you 2: come to the dork side of the farce! Its actually a guild name in swtor,

SWTOR is way too heavy to be played on the lagtop, so just one of us is able to play and even the good pc lags on medium graphics. >.>

The Almighty Pro

The Almighty Pro

Wow that's odd, you can run lotro on lagtop and not swtor? On my comp swtor is much more light than lotro and if I change to low settings then its zero lag.

The Undying

Hildorth wrote:
Wow that's odd, you can run lotro on lagtop and not swtor? On my comp swtor is much more light than lotro and if I change to low settings then its zero lag.

We haven't actually tried, but swtor feels heavier than lotro on the desktop, so... idk :p

rift feels about as heavy on laptop than lotro is when you run on minimum settings. But the amount of players in the screen make difference, sometimes you see over 20 players beating up the boss who tries to take over whole map with many smaller attack groups all around the landscape.

And yes, I have aoe thunder skill! Lamer than LM has but it's something. :D

The Undying

Hildorth wrote:

I used to have a lagtop, lotro could run ok on rock bottom settings and swtor could kind of run in a really laggy fashion. 

I got a new more powerful laptop, I can now run lotro on medium without any issuecould probably go higher, it can even run battlefield 3 which is rough on graphics cards even on the lowest settings, but swtor runs exactly the same as the lagtop.  Insanely laggy, the ninja jump the jedi can do which I always start a fight with causes the game to freeze for a few seconds and even when walking around the game will occasionally freeze.

The Almighty Pro

Spamwise wrote:
Hildorth wrote:

I used to have a lagtop, lotro could run ok on rock bottom settings and swtor could kind of run in a really laggy fashion. 

I got a new more powerful laptop, I can now run lotro on medium without any issuecould probably go higher, it can even run battlefield 3 which is rough on graphics cards even on the lowest settings, but swtor runs exactly the same as the lagtop.  Insanely laggy, the ninja jump the jedi can do which I always start a fight with causes the game to freeze for a few seconds and even when walking around the game will occasionally freeze.

Weird, I use a laptop for all my gaming, its not a top laptop but good enough to run most new games without any issue. With lotro I have to take down setting to lowest possible when in raids or when I just had enough with the constant freezing, especially when on war horse. Can go up to medium or a bit above if I feel like enduring that or doing something else. Not forgetting the constant loading screens freezing -.- With swtor I have almost no lag on medium/high settings, that said same for most games.

The Undying

Might be down to graphics cards I guess, some run different games better than others.  Or just the way swtor continues to conspire against me in my attempts to play it  

The Undying

I dunno, our lagtop is crap. o.O Swtor lags on medium settings and lagtop being as "performing" as always, we didn't bother to install and try it out. >.> And the world of swtor wasn't that appealing to me, so I gave it even less try myself.

The Almighty Pro

The Almighty Pro

Downloading and giving this a try >.>

EDIT: wth with all the lag there? can barely move :o

The Undying

Hildorth wrote:

Playing while loading is laggier. And do you have lowest possible graphic setting? need to restart game to change that.

The Almighty Pro

Hayburn wrote:
Hildorth wrote:

Playing while loading is laggier. And do you have lowest possible graphic setting? need to restart game to change that.

yes i had, was so low that stuff didnt even load, was running and not going forward till i realized something was there but not loaded -.-

The Undying

The lag'll pass when the download completes itself. Then it's smooth to run as ever O.o

The Almighty Pro

The Almighty Pro

tried again , completely downloaded patch .. this still plays like slow motion for me.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: