Post new topic   Reply to topic    Massive Dynamics Forum Index -> Help and Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hayburn
Officer
The Undying

The Undying

re: Threat-math

So as per Ger's request (all blame of math in forums may fall on him) I'll post briefly what we discovered today.

We were testing out threat with Ger's guardian (lvl 93-something) and my LM (95) in school lvl 95 instance. Trashpulls were analyzed based on feeling, but we got some numbers from single boss fights.

It seems that guards have some threat skills that are not force taunts, but add increased threat. If guard wouldn't use those, we suppose it'd be something like damage x4 = threat for yellow traited guardian and maby damage x5 = threat for blue traited guard.

We both recorded our damage with combat analysis and calculated multipliers (tank damage) / (DPS damage). When agro was shifting between us during the fight, multipliers were close but smaller than those multipliers above.

Sometimes the multiplier went up further than this without using force taunts, but still ger had solid agro of the boss. Thus it is safe to assume some guard skills still give additional threat, not only damage x4 or x5. Ger said some skills do the red threat-marks over enemy heads too.

Since damage to threat -multipliers seemed to change according to blue or yellow traits, it could be possible that threat multiplier is fairly different on all tanking classes.

The Almighty Pro

I wouldn't say blue guard does more threat than yellow, just seems easier to surpass the passive built in threat without force taunting, there's at least one skill that states in tool tip that it generates moderate threat ( maybe a remnant from old days?) and a few other shield skills do make that red sign of threat over the mobs head.

Also while blue I tapped into yellow line and got war chant ( 20 metres range aoe taunt O.o ) which also does that red sign. So in theory a blue and even yellow (was more comfortable with blue) can easily surpass the passive threat. Still needs some testing, specially the aoe threat but seems way simpler now.

Leerrrooooy

having threat multipliers make perfect sense.

in raw dps alone, a guard would be generating threat on top of each skill multipliers/passives.How much that holds againts higher dps I'm not sure cuz spike damage, despite having lower multipliers than the tank, can still surpass tank's aggro just by large numbers. Occasionally force taunts should more than make up for spikes?

lololol
Ulthanfric
Officer
The Almighty Pro

The Almighty Pro

Patriotpea wrote:
having threat multipliers make perfect sense.

in raw dps alone, a guard would be generating threat on top of each skill multipliers/passives.How much that holds againts higher dps I'm not sure cuz spike damage, despite having lower multipliers than the tank, can still surpass tank's aggro just by large numbers. Occasionally force taunts should more than make up for spikes?

Depends, normally always saved force taunts as either starting skill or a "oh shit" skill, depending on all other shield and parry skills to raise aggro, now seems a force taunt now and then must come into rotation to surpass any over eager dps. What I wasn't expecting was to have threat skills (not the force taunts), from what I read was basically the tank passive threat which would multiply by the dps made.

The Almighty Pro

On my level 40something guard those threat-generating skills are only those that use a shield to attack (e.g. Shield bash, etc.). Things like vexing blows do not make additional aggro than the passive ammount.

The Almighty Pro

Simone B. wrote:
On my level 40something guard those threat-generating skills are only those that use a shield to attack (e.g. Shield bash, etc.). Things like vexing blows do not make additional aggro than the passive ammount.

Yep its the shield skills, on yellow with 2 handed there's no shield so just the passive threat, but on yellow there's more dps, so guess it balances out. Been tanking on blue, think I'm doing ok, although on larger pulls seem to lose a few mobs, guess its normal, hard to aggro all 10+ mobs .

Leerrrooooy

Specially with champs going Quest NPC leroy zerg rushing

lololol
Hayburn
Officer
The Undying

The Undying

Patriotpea wrote:
Specially with champs going Quest NPC leroy zerg rushing

I tend to do that on my LM at least if ella is healing, just becouse i can :p

Back to the topic, wierd thing is that when guards have additional threat on some skills, warden gambits talk about none. Still need to test out my threat as warden, just got him to 95 yesturday. Not having my hopes up outside single boss fights though...

Glass Cannon

Yeah I'm not sure I have very high hopes for wardens but we'll see. =\
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Massive Dynamics Forum Index -> Help and Info All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: